Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Grain Free "Shake and Bake" Chicken

There are always some things that you just cannot resist. Back when I had a crazy work schedule and had to make breakfast, lunch, and dinner all before Noon. I had a few weekly go to meals that I would always throw together.
None of them though were Grain free. This was several years ago when I worked 6 days a week and we ate whatever we wanted. 
Today as I strolled through the super market picking up a few things, I glanced over to my right and saw the delicious tray of Organic Chicken Drumsticks. That fond memory of whipping up Shake and Bake for dinner once a week popped up. 
I used to love that crispy chicken coating. How easy was it?? Throw the chicken in a bag, shake it up, throw it in the oven and Wa la 45 minutes later, dinner.
Gotta love those convenience foods.
I am much more appreciative now of the free time that I have to make everything from scratch, and use nothing in a bag, or a box.
Those Chicken drumsticks got into my mind today. Somehow in the spice aisle was the Coconut milk that I needed to pick up for my home made yogurt. To get the coconut milk I had to walk by the Shake and Bake wall. 
So I picked up a box and checked out the ingredients. Except for all the crap, wheat sugar, and Maltodextrin, there was a few notable ingredients.
Onion flakes, Garlic, Spices, Parmesan and Parsley.
Next thing you know, BAM. The Chicken was in my cart. 
So, I thought about it on the way home. 
I have tried a few different chicken coatings before. None of them turned out this good.
I wanted to refrain from using Gluten free crackers, corn flakes, bread crumbs or processed grain ingredients. 

Coconut flour can be used, but it really dries it out. Like the next day, rubber dry. 
Not exactly what i was wanting.
I have used Garbanzo flour before, and successfully. It just never crisped up as much as I wanted and really didn't add a lot of taste. This one as much as tasted the part, looked the part and smelled the part. An amazing aroma in the kitchen, and subtle crunch, and juicy chicken. 
This one was the winner. 
I was also very glad that I didn't have to add any oil or spray the chicken with hydrogenated oil to get it to crisp up. NO deep frying, and no brushing with butter.
I used Parmesan cheese in this recipe. Organic and lactose free. If you cannot use Parmesan cheese, use more almond flour.
You will not get the same results if you skip out on the egg and substitute in coconut milk or butter milk. Your coating will be soggy.
One hint I can offer, Have your oven pre-heated and ready to go the minute you are done the chicken. The faster you get the coating on and in the oven, the crispier it will be.
I also recommend using a broiler pan with a grill for the chicken. The less surface area on the bottom of the chicken, the better the result. Otherwise you may end up with a naked bottom with no coating as there is no wheat flour or maltodextrin in this coating to hold it together. 

Grain Free "Shake and Bake" Chicken - Gluten free

Yield 8-10 chicken pieces

Coating Mix

In a flat dish toss together:

1/2 C Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 C (lactose free) Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Granulated Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp Herbamere Zesty Salt (substitute Seasoning salt)
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 tsp Herb de Provence or 1/2 tsp dried Oregano, 1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp Ground Mustard

In a seperate glass bowl:

1 egg whisked with 1 tsp water

Rinse and Dry the chicken. Roll the chicken around generously in the egg. The more egg the better the coating will stick. 
Dredge the chicken in the Coating mix immediately after the egg. Generously spoon the coating over the entire piece of chicken.
Place the chicken spaced apart, onto a broiler pan grill. Cover the Broiler pan with tin foil or parchment for easy cleaning and put the grill on top. No need for oil or grease.
Cook the chicken at 400 degrees for 45-55 minutes depending on chicken size. (drumsticks 45 min, legs and back attached 55-60 min)

Broil the chicken for 2 minutes under a high broiler just until the coating really crisps up. It will burn easy if you are not watching. 
Let stand for 5 minutes before eating.


Yum :)

No comments:

Post a Comment