Sunday, May 13, 2012

Oopsie Rolls - Grain Free, Wheat Free, Starch Free

So... I am getting excited about summer food. Steak, ribs, hamburgers, baked beans, hot dogs, potato salad, Greek salad, Cole slaw, BBQ corn cobs, baked potatoes, planked fish.. MMMm seriously how can you resist? 
It's definitely harder on a grain free diet as we hardly eat potatoes, no bread, and if I do make bread it doesn't go with hamburgers..
So, in anticipation of getting our fire pit outside I have been planning ways to get through the delicious hamburgers cooked over the fire. Also we love to do day trips to the mountains on the weekends and the less crap we have to take with us the better. You have to have forks and everything... lol
Hamburgers with lettuce leaves are also kinda boring sometimes because I want bacon and mushrooms and onions and tomato and cheese and it's weird without a bun.
SOOOOOOooo I was a little worried as we are coming up to our day 1 of the 17 and I wanted to make all recipes compliant.
I was doing some research as usual with using Whey Powder to cook with as that is relatively new for me. 
Well, good news I came across a few recipes that were posted all over the Google. 

"Oopsie Rolls"
 
Yes they are flat, unlike traditional rolls. However we all know that around here nothing is traditional.
They are soft, fluffy, and neutral so whatever taste you have it will become! 
I checked over the ingredients and I was a little worried as Kyle does NOT like meringue in any way, shape or form.
The main ingredient in these is eggs, whipped eggs to be exact so I was worried after all of my work and planning he wouldn't like them. So I just didn't tell him.. I put out extra lettuce just in case it was needed.
I have a delicious pancake recipe (soon to be posted) using very similar ingredients and I LOVED  the pancakes so I was ready to embrace the yumminess.

Here it is.. My delicious hamburger!

Trust me the rolls are perfect. They are a vehicle from the plate to your mouth. End of story.
But they are very useful, as they are easy to make savory, or sweet.
What I like best about them is they are not full of starch or carbs like my bread rounds, coconut buns, biscuits etc. They are not going to fill you up and make you unhappy. They will only help you enjoy the experience that your mental relationship plays in your life. 
I hope you have time to make these one night. They are great.
They can be a little tricky so please follow the recipe exact. You may need to adjust according to climate in order to the texture just right. 
Also ovens may vary. I cooked mine in my mini oven with the element close to the pan so they kept there shape fairly well. It may help to cook them in the same place in your oven or increase the heat if your having trouble with keeping them separated. 
Work quickly, the faster the less liquid you will end up with that will not be useable.


#2 Oopsie Rolls - Gluten Free, Grain Free, Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Starch free

this is my version of an original which can be found @ the lighter side of low carb :)

In a stand mixer bowl beat on high until stiff peaks form:
4 organic egg whites
1/8 t cream of tartar or organic lemon juice
pinch of sea salt

In a separate stand mixer bowl beat well until thick:
4 organic egg yolks
1/4 t organic lemon juice /organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar
1/4 t aluminum free baking soda
1/2 C organic cottage cheese/organic cream cheese room temperature
3 T unsweetened/vanilla whey powder
Spices needed for sweet or savory (recipe follows)

Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Move oven rack to top half of oven and set to 300 degrees.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl beat yolk mixture until pale yellow and thick. VERY delicately fold yolk mixture into white mixture without crushing whites. Mix should look like fluffy yellow meringue.
On prepared baking sheets use your spatula and dollop mound circles without flattening  the mix and leaving generous space in between. Divide into 12 mounds. 

Immediately place pan into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
They need to become browned or they are going to be too soft to do anything with.
Bake until set enough to handle and cool completely. 
Leave them out on the counter until use, closing them will cause them to get soft and mushy. 
You can toast them lightly just before eating in the toaster oven to firm them up.

For savory rolls:
1/8 t onion powder
1/4 t sea salt
pinch dry mustard
sprinkle with sesame seeds once on sheet pan

For sweet rolls:
1 xyliol/stevia/sucralose/raw agave nectar/palm sugar
1 real vanilla extract
dash cinnamon


2 comments:

  1. Made these tonight for 'bun' for salmon burger. they were perfect!!.. i got 10 'rolls'... I used 1/2 vegtable protein powder... and half Flax meal.. made them savory with a good seasoned salt i have. Took picture.. would love to show you but dont know how i can do that... They held up really well. did not break apart. i LOVE that there is no carb. all protein!! I used cream cheese.. and i by mistake only used 1/4 cup cuz i thought i was going to cut the recipe in half.. but i didnt.. so they would be even better with the other half of Cr cheese added. Thanks so much for these recipes... I am a Wheatbelly admirer too.. and am grain free so finding good recipes is a hobby of mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this lovely recipe! I've been longing for a good hamburger, and these made the perfect 'bun' that held up beautifully along with a juicy burger and all the accompaniments! Question - you mentioned leaving them out on the counter .... how can I store these? Will they freeze? I cook for just myself, and this recipe made a lot of rolls! Thanks again - I really enjoy your blog and all your recipes!

    ReplyDelete