Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Breakfast Egg Muffins - grain free, gluten free, starch free

It was a very nice long weekend and I realize when I come back home and get back to routine how much my baking is missed.
When it comes to lunches if I haven't been making anything there is really nothing to eat besides carrot sticks and canned fish.
It's difficult being Grain Free and eating breakfast on the go, especially when you get down to 17DD as the regular grain free indulgences all of a sudden become non existent.
Your main source of breakfast food becomes eggs and yogurt in Cycle 1.Yogurt is fine but eggs on the go? Boiled eggs are only fun for about a week. 
I make a fair bunch of fritatta and egg casseroles but even those can be troublesome to eat when you're driving to work with a delicious hot steaming coffee.
SO ... I had a VISION!
What if I was able to make a delicious breakfast muffin! Not just a muffin like all of my other recipes, but a BREAKFAST muffin.
We're talking Eggs, cheese, turkey bacon, scallions oh yum.
I looove my lemon, cranberry, whey powder muffins. They are great. But sweet muffins with sweet yogurt and sweet coffee is not for every day.

Here is a fabulous way to eat a balanced breakfast, grain free, starch free, and without additional carbs.
I love how you don't need a mixer or a food processor, to complete these. 
You can obviously pick many different savory flavors to complete these muffins.
I stuck to my basics. 

I used the silicon and the paper baking cups to make them easier to remove from the pan without sticking. You could omit these by using coconut oil or butter to grease the muffin tins.
I added some whey powder to the recipe to make them more "cakey" other than "eggy" and I quite liked it. You may need to adjust seasonings accordingly to make up for flavors, and sweetened or unsweetened whey powder.
Using the whey powder in the muffin will also cause them to "rise" similar to a regular muffin. Without the whey powder you will probably have fairly flat muffins.
If you want to omit the whey powder completely it will be totally fine. To substitute the whey powder I would recommend coconut flour.

This brings me to my 4th 17DD safe recipe!!!

4. Breakfast Muffins - grain free, starch free, dairy free, gluten free

In a glass bowl scramble together:

6 organic eggs/whites equal to
1 C coconut Milk/Dairy Milk/Cream/Almond Milk
1 t sea salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t onion powder
dash of paprika

Add to egg mixture:
 
1/2 C finely chopped vegetables.
  • scallions, bell peppers, pimentos, mushrooms, tomatoes etc.
4 slices turkey/chicken bacon fried crisp and diced (ham, bacon, sausage etc)
1 cold 4 oz cream cheese brick chopped into pieces (1 C old cheddar cheese)

Mix the filling into the egg mixture and scramble as you would an omelet. You want to leave the cream cheese in pieces as it will melt in the oven.

Slowly scoop in 3 T unsweetened whey powder or 2 T coconut flour

Mix all ingredients together and pour into greased or paper lined muffin cups. Fill 2/3 full and bake.
Bake at 400 degrees for 13-18 minutes. Just until the top is firm, and starting to brown.
Let cool for 10 minutes before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment