Saturday, March 10, 2012

Savory Flatbread/Tortillas- Grain free, sugar free, gluten free, lactose free, egg free

One of the best things I ever did was develop my cracker recipe. They are so darn good I have never bought crackers since. Not only are they easy to make, but you get a huge bunch out of one batch and they last forever if they are cooked all the way through or dehydrated. So make one batch and throw them in your pantry and then one day you will find a use for them like tuna salad!

I was thinking one day when I was making crackers, how great would it be if I could turn the great taste of my toasted seeds and cracker yumminess into a tortilla. 
I have made a great deal of tortilla recipes lately. Sometimes, I really want a taco or a breakfast burrito or a quesadilla. Unfortunately all of the recipes I have used either use rice, quinoa or bean flour and are udderly gross. I cannot stand the taste or quinoa flour its over powering and the smell of it just being added to the batter is nasty. bleh. 
I love cooking with beans but bean flour is not low in carbs and is not ideal for us. And rice flour, that no longer belongs in our house. I suppose I could use oat flour or coconut flour but those usually have added starch and calories and carbs to hold them together. 
So I thought maybe I would try it. I would try to make my cracker recipe into a tortilla and just see what happens. I want a savory toasted sesame tortilla to wrap around my egg salad. 

So I simply adjusted some ingredients and added some moisture in order to make the recipe sticky so it would be bendable without cracking and drying out. 
Here is what I came up with:

Delicious toasted grainy, seedy, "tortilla" wraps. I didn't have any problems at all with them holding together and not cracking. However I wasn't piling in a huge mountain of ingredients because like all things grain free these have no gluten. None. So filling them crazy full and causing them to break is not a good idea, have 2 instead that are smaller. 
Making these tortillas gave me ideas for a flat bread and a pita!!
Maybe even a delicious bagel. I have been using a recipe for bagels from The Spunky Coconut that is delicious. However I am missing my seedy and spicy everything bagel that I used to smother with cream cheese. I am thinking that using this recipe as a bagel will be fantastic and so with some tweaking I will be making it next week and loving it!

Savory "Tortilla" Wraps - Grain Free, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Lactose Free, Egg Free

These might be a little tricky when rolling and cutting out but that will but the hardest part I promise. If you like you can make small ones free form or with a large cookie cutter like I did. You can even use a small round plate and cut out the shape with a knife. Whatever works easiest for you. I rolled out the dough to just bigger than 1/8inch thick between 2 pieces of parchment paper. Cut out using a large cookie cutter and removed the excess. Then LEAVING the tortilla still on one piece of the parchment I baked it. Removing it from the parchment will cause it to break as it will be very moist before baking.

In a glass bowl mix and let stand:
1/4 C flaxmeal or 2 T chia meal
1/2 C warm water
2 T olive oil/grapeseed oil/coconut oil/melted butter
1 T Real lemon juice/organic apple cider vinegar
3 T unsweetened apple sauce
let stand for 5 minutes.

In a mixing bowl combine:
1/3 C coconut flour
1/4 t fine sea salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
3/4 t xanthum gum
1/4 t tapioca flour/arrowroot flour/potato starch
1/2 t baking soda aluminum free

In a coffee grinder coarsely grind:
1 T sesame seeds roasted/un-roasted
1 T poppy seeds
1 T dry roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
1 T raw hulled hemp seeds
1 T dry roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds

Add seeds to mixing bowl and blend together. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixing very thoroughly. Form into balls and roll out thin between 2 pieces of parchment. 
Cut tortillas to size while dough is on parchment. Remove excess dough and leave the tortilla on the parchment. Bake in the oven on a cookie sheet tortilla side up directly on the parchment paper. Bake for exactly 6 minutes at 350 degrees. Ovens may very cooking time, check after 6 minutes take a tiny slice out of the tortilla and taste to see if the center is soft or firm. You want them to be firm but bendable. Cooking them longer will cause the edges to crack and dry them out too much.
Once cooked set aside on a cooling rack. Wait 1-2 min before removing the parchment so tortilla does not stick. Let cool completely on rack before packaging. Store in a Ziploc bag with paper towel or wax paper between each tortilla in the fridge or eat immediately. Please eat within 1-3 days.
If tortilla is soft just before eating place in the toaster oven on light and low for a minute or so just until the outside firms up.


Remember that I was talking about flat bread....? This is what happens when you have wild and crazy dreams about a delicious flat bread that you can eat all smothered in goat cheese. OMG where has this recipe been?

I took the exact recipe for Tortillas and simply divided the dough into 5 balls. I then flattened the ball rustically with my hand pressing it down onto a parchment board. Make sure the bread is evenly flat so it doesn't burn in thin spots. Bake for 18-20 min at 350 degrees. The longer you bake it the firmer, and crunchier it gets. if you want it soft, take it out sooner. It was just right at 20 minutes, golden brown and crunchy outside with a tender middle.


They are fabulously delicious. Smother with goat cheese, olive oil and salt and pepper. Or, do what Kyle did and chop it in half and make it into a hamburger bun. MM one of the best hamburger buns ever. It was firm and didn't fall apart, didn't get soft from toppings and was just thick enough.
Delicious.

Well, maybe next time I will have a nice juicy bagel covered with peanut butter and bananas to show you. Until then, off to eat my crackers!

No comments:

Post a Comment