Sunday, March 11, 2012

Butter Cream Frosting - Sugar Free, Gluten Free

So you have to make a cake quick because your in laws are coming over and you don't have time to go shopping for grain free flour and......... you don't have enough yogurt to ice a cake. 

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO!?!?! think cake. MMmmm.

Well, I was intelligent this morning and decided instead of cheesecake (which I have had enough of lately to be sick of) how about chocolate devils food cake. Not just because it's the best cake ever! But because I want to test out my new bean recipe to make sure that it is delicious and it is not just me. 



If you all remember my FABULOUS wedding cake. This tastes exactly the same. The best part, no flour, half the calories, half the carbs, no refined sugar, no wheat, no gluten. So I am hoping that when we indulge in this cake today we will all be able to think back to that lovely wedding day and compare the two.
MMM I can't even wait to eat this I tell you. It's a delicious cake, moist and chocolate fudge like with a coffee taste. yumo. Luckily I had just the recipe! I took my Chocolate Bean cake recipe, however, last time I made it into cupcakes so it was a test.




I took 2 nine inch cake pans and made the standard recipe and just divided it in half between the pans. I greased the snot out of the pan with Grapeseed oil in the hopes the cake would just fall out when I tip it over. I wanted to layer the cake with butter cream inside so instead of making 1 big cake and having to cut it in half I just made 2.
This cake is dense and great for icing as it does not crumble, but if you cut it in half I am certain it would not hold its shape without gluten or flour. So not really a good idea.

This cake will be paired with Champagne, Gluten free beer, Curry Cream Corn,  Green Apple Garden salad, and Honey Chicken. Well we don`t eat honey so it will be Agave but it tastes the same.

I baked the cake for 25 minutes exactly at 350 degrees It was perfectly done and to my surprise it was nice and flat on the top so there was no necessary trimming. I cannot wait to eat it. The best part the cake had cooked and completely moved away from the edges of the pan so when i flipped the pan over tadaa a perfect cake fell out of the pan. Please excuse my decorating skills. lol trust me when I say it tastes divine.



Chocolate Bean Devil's Food Cupcakes - Grain Free, Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Starch Free 

In a food processor:
2 C or 1 lrg 19oz can Black beans, rinsed and Drained
3 eggs
3 t real vanilla extract 
Blend until creamy and no visible chunks 1-2 min

Add all at once:
3/4 C dark unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 C sucralose/Stevia**
3 T organic raw agave nectar/palm syrup/date syrup (please see my recipes)
1 1/2 t baking soda aluminum free
1 1/2 t gluten free baking powder
1/2 fine sea salt
1/3 C instant skim milk powder/organic coconut milk powder
Puree until thick
Slowly pour in 1/2 C warm strong coffee and mix well.

Fill 2 well greased 9 inch pans evenly full. Bake 25 minutes in middle of oven 1 pan above the other at 350 degrees. It will have a slight crust in the middle and may crack but will be dense and soft on the edges. Cake should pull away from the edges of the pan is greased properly.
And so my delicious devils food cake is born. Layered with vanilla butter cream and shaved unsweetened chocolate crumbles. yum.
For the icing, I have adjusted a recipe my mom passed down to me for the butter cream we have all loved for years. I have made it sugar, and gluten free. It can also be vegan by substituting vegetable shortening or coconut oil for butter.

Vanilla Butter Cream - Sugar free, Gluten free

In a small saucepan:
1/4 C organic butter/vegetable shortening/coconut oil 
3 T oat flour**
3/4 C milk/heavy cream
1 T real vanilla or 1/4 C cocoa powder for chocolate flavored

Melt the butter until starting to bubble and froth. Whisk in oat flour and stir immediately until well dissolved and brown. Slowly stir in milk and bring to a simmer until you are left with a thick paste. DO NOT BURN. If you burn the milk throw it out as it will taste horrid.
Stir in vanilla once a paste and place in the fridge for 30 min until cool.

**Use fine ground oat flour not the chunky oat flour that looks like oat bran or wheat germ. You want a flour, if you don't have oat flour use brown rice flour. Using rice flour will increase the Glycemic index 50% more than oat flour and will add carbohydrates.**

In a food processor:
1 1/2 C Sucralose Granulated/Isomalt
2 t tapioca flour/corn starch**
set aside

In a mixer: 
1/2 C room temperature butter softened
Cream butter on high in mixing bowl and scrape down sides. Add in butter and flour mixture and beat on high until smooth. Slowly dust in sucralose powder mixture. Beat until smooth and creamy. Place frosting in the fridge for 15 min to firm up.
If you need it sweeter add in some stevia instead of sucralose. Too much sucralose will leave you with a chemical taste in your mouth bleh..

**Don't use arrowroot powder. Arrowroot and dairy products do not get along. It will become slime and unappealing. If you are going to freeze the icing use corn starch not tapioca as it will hold up better in the end**

Put 1/4 inch thick layer of butter cream between the cakes. Decorate as inspired for the top and sides. Using a sharp knife cut shards of unsweetened bakers chocolate and sprinkle over top layer of butter cream. 

Mmmmm. Next I am going to make my vanilla cake into a layered cake. I will actually admit that my vanilla bean cake recipe is so fantastic it's nearly better than the devils food. It would taste just as fantastic with butter cream piled high and a strawberry on top. I may even have to add some India tree color to get a pink hue in the cream. Ooo fabulous. 
Can't wait until someone birthday so I can whip out that cake!!!!!!!


PS Mom that means you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment